Friday, February 14, 2020

Cusco - It's my birthday and I'll buy if I want to!

I am writing this from Aguas Calientes, tomorrow is Machu Picchu!!

But for now, back to Cusco.  Cusco is a lovely city.  Even though we missed some festival activities in Puno, we were glad to add a day in Cusco (and our awesome hostel).

On our second day, Sunday, we decided to take a free walking tour.  We headed to the meeting area and couldn't find it. This is going to become a theme.  So we went to the Plaza instead and were found by a different free walking tour company.  The plaza was lousy with them.  Red shirts, yellow shirts, umbrellas, anything to differentiate one free walking tour from another.  We had to sit and wait for about 20 minutes and got to watch the fierce competition for 'walkers'.  You'd think something free wouldn't be so brutal.  However, when we finally started, we stopped by a chocolate shop and ended in a restaurant so I guess the guides make more than just tips.


The city is built on Inca structure.  They
really knew how to cut stone.

Our guide



Slippery rocks/sidewalk

After our walking tour, we had lunch in the plaza and watched the rain pour. 





and then did a bit of shopping and visited San Pedro Market.  I don't think we bought anything of significance.

Oh yeah, this store!  I loved it and bought
a bunch of stuff.
San Pedro Market
Oh, and this lady.  I bought a painting
from her 
Standard market photo
Next day, it was raining but we decided to go visit the four ruins just outside of Cusco.  We flagged down a taxi in the Plaza and asked him to drive us to each and wait.  He agreed, for s/60!  about $20 for over four hours.

The biggest and most famous is Saqsaywaman.  I'm sorry to say, I know nothing about anything about these places.  But here is some nice pictures.

(Trying to download with terrible wifi in Aquas Calientes)

Saqsaywaman.  Something about the Inca's last stand against the Spanish.  It was raining pretty hard.



Did I mention it was raining.
Llamas!
Some of these stones are the size of cars, or even bigger
How did they move them?
For scale, and it show it was raining (did I mention it was raining)



This puppy liked Val but was afraid of my camera and the llama
that was right beside us
Oh, hello.
Cause if there is a baby alpaca, I am going to take a picture
(Much better wifi in Ollantaytambo!)

Next stop (let me check the pictures)... Q'enco.  It was small but had a cave so that was cool.




Next up: Puka Pukara.  Amazing views from the archaeological site.






The shepherd and her dogs, in the rain



We got to yell 'Dunkey' in Shrek's voice a lot here
Next, Tambamachay.  Most notable for new birds.






After all of that, we had our driver drop us in San Blas neighbourhood.  It is supposed to be the artsy, bohemian area but I really couldn't tell the difference.  We did have lunch at a Vegan restaurant, does that count as bohemian?  It was called Green Point and it was really good.  We had the menu del dia, salad bar, bean soup, some sort of mushroom pizza pocket and then a little truffle for dessert.  Good stuff.  And then of course, some shopping!




Baby Jesus in a chair.  


Kitten hiding in some blankets for sale
I'll take all of them!

Next day was my birthday.  It turned out to be nice weather.  Tourists have to buy a tourist card to visit the ruins from the day before.  Also included are a bunch of museums.  We decided to spend the morning visiting the museums before my big birthday lunch at 2pm.  

First we walked up the hill, past San Blas, to find the Museo de Precolumbia.  We managed to get a bit lost but we finally found it. But it turned out to not be included in our pass and it was kind of expensive so we didn't go in.  But there were some shops near by so, of course, we went in.  

I had been coveting all of the fancy alpaca sweaters, not the ones in the market,  but the nice ones in the expensive shops.  I found one I liked a lot and it was 50% off and I bought it for myself for my birthday.  I will wear it to work and if you wash your hands, I will allow you to touch the cuff of the sleeve (lightly).

Then we went back down toward the Plaza to the next museum on the list.  We couldn't find it.  Ok, let's try a third.  We finally managed to find the Regional Museum.  No pictures allowed.  Honestly, it was kind of boring so no loss.  

Then to my birthday lunch at Morena's Peruvian Kitchen.  It was amazing!  Here is a picture of every course!
Yummy potatoes with various dips.
Check out the rock cutlery holder
My tropical Pisco sour (with pineapple juice)
Appetizers.  Val had Causa which is mashed potato with chicken
and I had pork belly skewers with some sort of sauce and corn.
It was one of the best things I have ever eaten!
Then we shared pasta with chicken, cheese and wild mushrooms.
And then the combo dessert plate to share.
 But wait, they brought more dessert for my birthday.

Chocolate ice cream with brownie bits
And I got to wear the birthday crown.
And not to be left out, Val got her own hat
(complete with braids)
 We were so full after our huge lunch, we just gave up on the next two museums.  Our pass is good for 10 days so we can go when we get back to Cusco if we want.

The next morning we had to be up early for the train to Aguas Calientes - Machu Picchu!






 I will leave you here.  Next post, Machu Picchu!  

No comments:

Post a Comment